Sunday 27 March 2011

My Earth Day

Okay; you guys know my Earth Day post a couple days ago? Well, here's how my Earth Day actually went:

I woke up WITHOUT my alarm clock which I had turned off, as well as removing my digital watch so I had no idea what time it was but the sun was shining and I felt rested so I figured it was time to get up. I got out of bed and took myself into the shower but because it was Earth Day I didn't turn on the power-shower part but I got clean still that's the main thing, hehe.

After I dried off and such I can downstairs and checked the analogue clock in the living room, it was around elven which is late for me to get up, but oh well. I was really in the mood for a bagel for breakfast (How Jewish am I?), but the toaster was off-limits so I fried myself an egg instead since our stove runs on gas, not electricity. My dad was at the kitchen table with his newspaper and he couldn't help but make a joke about the starter on the stove being electric. Hey, I'm allowed to break the rules once right?

After breakfast and looking at my little sister's latest drawing, which was adorable I should add, I felt like hanging out with friends; sadly phones are electric so that made things a little complicated. Fortunately my cousin/best friend Sarah (She's given me permission to use her name) lives right next door, so I just went over and knocked on the door. Her brother answered and told me she was up in her room so I headed up there and we hung out, doing what we usually do, which often translates as 'nothing', but it was good fun. After a little while, we took a walk across the village (Due to the tiny size of Snug Cove, this took all of five minutes) to my girlfriend's house and continued our nothing until lunch. I joked that because it was Earth Day I wouldn't eat anything cooked with electricity, however Mary was in the mood for a salad anyway so that worked out, especially because Mary's an AMAZING cook, which likely has a lot to do with the fact that she's half Italian (Yes it's stereotyping but come on, you Italians out there know you're great cooks). Sarah's really not a salad type so she took off at that point, but joined up with us again later.

It was after four before I had a serious computer craving but I resisted it by taking a book into the woods and reading under a tree, enjoying the nice air for a bit. What better way to spend Earth Day eh? (Haha, the Canadian said eh)

Once the sun was going down and it was getting cooler, I resigned myself to going back inside. I was met by my mom who told me I should have brought my phone with me because she had no idea where I was. My feeling is that I'm sixteen and for the most part trustworthy, but I apologized and such; she's my mom after all. It also turned out that my parents weren't observing the 'lights off' part of Earth Day, and what was more, my older sister was going around turning all the lights on just to annoy me. I ignored her and retreated to my room until dinner was ready, which sadly I had to eat by electric light but I swallowed my annoyance, seeing as the food had also clearly been cooked with electricity. After all, this is 2011, I can hardly expect people to revert to the stone age just because I find it fun.

As the day drew to a close I found it harder and harder to keep myself switched off, so as per usual on a Saturday night, I met up with Mary and we didn't need any lights. Nuff said?

Well, that was my Earth Day. I'd love yo hear how you spent yours.

Love
-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment