Tuesday 3 July 2012

In the lee of Bowen Island

The name may be confusing to non-Lightfoot fans, but all shall become clear very soon.

As any readers of this blog will know, I've recently returned home from uni. Mary had a surprise for me that I would never have expected.
It turns out she learned to play the guitar (Not to professional level, but well enough), and when I returned, she played me a love song, which I'll be my best honest, made me cry.

The tune was Christian Island by Gordon Lightfoot, but she modified the lyrics to make it about us. She has a really beautiful singing voice.

Below are the lyrics as she sang them, if you want to know the original lyrics, Google is your friend, hehe.

I'm sailing down the summer wind
My mouth is in a grin
And I like the mood I'm in
As I while away the time of day
In the lee of Bowen Island 
Tall and strong she dips and reels
Through all kinds of ordeals
And she tells me how she feels
She's a good old boat and she'll stay afloat
Through the toughest gales and keep smilin'
But for one more day she would like to stay
In the lee of Bowen Island 

I'm sailing down the summer day
Where the fish and seagulls play
I put my troubles all away
Because once again I'm with the girl of kin
From the Algarve and the Highlands
She's a good old ship and she'll make the trip
From the lee of Bowen Island 

Tall and strong she slips along
I sing for her a song
And she leans into the wind
She's a good old boat and she'll stay afloat
Through the toughest gales and keep smilin'
When the summer ends we will rest again
In the lee of Bowen Island

I wanted to post a video of her singing it, but she insisted it was just for me to hear and I'm okay with that, but she okayed me posting the lyrics.

So that's all really, I just wanted to post this as I found it amazingly sweet.

Love
-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment